Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Delight of God in Us

God, give me strength and motivation to do what I know I ought!

I was recently reminded of our significance to God. That he does love us dearly and that he rejoices in calling us his own.

I’ve been studying through Philippians with several others in order that we may teach it at Soma (the college ministry that I help with) God has blessed me so richly in putting me with others who desire so strongly to see the word of God proclaimed, and to grow in depth of insight. I am so thankful that He has given me these people to learn from and to push me to God. What is even more amazing to me is that he seems to be using me in a similar fashion to others. I am blown away in the ways that I see God using me in the midst of my many flaws.

Anyways, what I was going to say is that we are teaching on Phil 2:12-18 and it is sooo good.

Working backwards, Paul tells us that we should rejoice. Rejoice in what? We are to rejoice in the fact that Paul did not work in vain but that God has been using him in amazing ways. That In an attitude of not being stuck on petty issues but in being focused on the Glory of God, he has been used as a light to the world, displaying the insatiable grace of God! The grace that allows us to stand out as being the children of God, made pure even in the midst of a “crooked and twisted generation.” That it is “God who works in you to will and to work for his good pleasure.” For his good pleasure, such a phrase. God’s purpose is to delight in himself, he does not need us but we need him, and yet, he still chooses to use us, to will and to work in us.

In this I believe that he does delight in us. Otherwise what would be the point? It is his good pleasure to change our will to his, to work in us and to carry through to completion the good work that he has already began in us. We are to rejoice in the fact that our God delights himself by working in us! That he is indeed using us as part of his plan and that we are to be his lights in the universe. We are given his grace purely for the sake of his name, for the glory of our God. (Rom 1:5) Yes, but also we must not put this too lightly. We are to rejoice in God but also to be in awe at his power. It is he that works in us, we are to practice in following God keeping in reverent fear and trembling that he may not work in us the way that we choose. In fact he probably won’t… but, He will carry us through, he will work in us and he does Delight in us because we delight in him!

Anyway I thought that was amazingly cool, and wanted to share it.

On a completely different note I got a new camera this past week!! I’m really excited about it. I’m definitely still learning how to harness the power that it has, and to train myself to see the pictures available. Here is a selection.

I’ll post some thoughts and photos on the Highland Games soon as well, but that deserves a post of its own.












No comments: